Sunday, August 28, 2011

day eighty: baked potatoes in the crockpot

baked potatoes for dinner ... so good!
day eighty and its time for the crockpot to come in handy today!  we are out most of the day and i know after a really busy sunday no one will feel like cooking dinner tonight, so i started making dinner this morning in the crockpot thanks to a wonderful idea from skip to my lou.  pinned to my recipe must do's board is her cool idea for baked potatoes in the crockpot, what a perfect easy sunday dinner :)

its almost too simple to be true, just turn the crockpot on low and place in foil wrapped potatoes, walk away for 6 hours and return to a cooked dinner!

what you need ... 
... yeah it couldn't be easier!
and like magic dinner was ready bar some quick toppings :)
outcome:  and return we did, we were tired, but we arrived home to some well cooked potatoes!  we added kransky's, pesto's, cheese, and sour cream to the top of them and they were delicious.  the potatoes were really really well done so in future i will only put them on for 5 hours on low ... this is totally a personal preference but they really probably only need half a day in the crockpot if you a using small to medium spuds :)  obviously if you are using BIG ones 6-7 hours will be perfect!  i am definitely going to do this again especially on nights when the kids have sport because this provides instant, hot nourishment for the tired troops :)

many thanks to skip to my lou for this inspired dinner option, who knew that making dinner was going to be SO easy tonight ... not me, but it totally was ... so now the kids are fed, in bed reading, and i can sit back with a hot coffee (and maybe some of the chocolate i brought my mum back from singapore!) and relax into the evening ... oh and the dishes were a DREAM :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's such a good idea. I'm going to do it too, especially for weeknights when they get home from activities absolutely ravenous. I love my crockpot.

Natasha in Oz said...

I have just found your site and love it! I too am totally addicted to Pinterest (I even host a weekly Pinterest Party) and try to make things that I pin. I will have to have a look at your boards and see what goodies I can find. Thanks so much!

Best wishes,
Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me